Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
Throughout May, we offer quick tips to practice mindfulness in our Mindful May calendar including Mindful Meditation, Grounding Meditation, and Tapping Meditation.
Remember to ‘Think About What You Think About’ and replace an angry thought with a loving thought.
Scarlett Lewis’ mindfulness practice:
One of my favorite things to do is to take my dogs and walk in the park. I practice mindfulness on the wooded trails and appreciate the changing atmosphere when crossing the train tracks that lead into grassy fields with broad horizons.
Watch as I take a moment to enjoy the beauty around us!
What’s your mindfulness practice?
May 18th is Mental Health Action Day.
Choose Love is again working in partnership with Mental Health Action Day. Here is a list of 18 actions you can take to support
yourself and your mental health. Try at least one and post about it using #MentalHealthAction and #ChooseLoveMovement.
1. Go for a walk
2. Take a few minutes to meditate
3. Write an entry in your journal (see our Choose Love Journal)
4. Do a breathing exercise
5. Listen to a wellness podcast (Listen to Choose Love Podcasts)
6. Download a wellness app
7. Enjoy the outdoors
8. Get creative – color, draw or doodle
9. Make a gratitude list
10. Take or schedule a fitness or yoga class
11. Listen to your favorite music
12. Take a nap
13. Disconnect from your phone
14. Sign up to volunteer at your favorite organization (See how you can help Choose Love)
15. Text a friend or a loved one
16. Check-in with yourself and think about what you think about
17. Discover new resources at mentalhealthishealth.us
18. Seek help from a friend or professional